For a lot of people, when they hear the phrase “save money on groceries” they just think of clipping coupons or watching the circulars. There actually is a lot more to it than just clipping coupons. Now this does not mean that you have to be an extreme couponer. Most people do not have that much time to spare to go to those great lengths. Still, there are some actions that will help you save money while not take up that much more of your time.
- The first rule of savings is organization. Taking the extra second to get organized in the beginning means more time savings later. Set aside a certain time of day or day of the week to get organized. Come up with a method for finding, clipping, and organizing the coupons. There is no right way or wrong way here.
- The next thing to do is to look at the circulars and try to match coupons with the extra savings from the circulars. Try to save all coupons until the item goes on sale. Typically the sales are on a three month cycle.
- When using the grocery coupons, look for stacking coupon opportunities. The grocery stores will sometimes offer their own coupons for certain items in the grocery store. If possible, match a manufacturer’s coupon with the grocery store coupon for even more savings.
- Another way to save more money, which is along the similar lines as stacking, is what’s called coupon matching. Some grocery stores will match the coupon savings or even triple the coupon savings on certain days of the week.
- It is also very important to use the coupons on the right size product package. In general, it is better to stay away from family size or value size packages when using coupons. The reason is that a lot of the coupons for a fixed amount off such as 50 cents. The smaller the package, the higher the percentage savings on the product.
These are just a few of the easy ways to save a little extra money when shopping for grocery items. It does not take much effort at all but can really result in huge savings. Not everyone has the time to spend hours scouring the newspapers and internet sites for coupons and other savings. Following these simple methods will help to ensure the most savings with the minimal effort on grocery shopping.
For more helpful ways to save money, take a look at the rest of the blog at Embassy Loans. You find all sorts of money tips that can make things just a little bit easier.